I couldn’t pull the black pot off the roots of the tree I planted. The roots had circled around the inside of the pot, bound by the plastic. I had to cut off the black plastic pot.
If I planted the tree immediately after cutting off the pot, the roots would continue to grow in a circle inside the ground even thought the pot was cut off. The roots were free to grow anywhere, but they wouldn’t change direction.
I said to the plant as it lay on the ground waiting to be planted, ” Hello roots. I cut off the plastic. You can stop growing in a circle now.”
The roots didn’t answer me. They just lay on the ground growing in their circular motion right in front of me. The roots didn’t change what they were doing. The roots needed someone to help them. I cut the roots and pulled them apart. The roots would grow out into the soil now.
I know that I am smarter than the root of a tree. I know I have brains and am able to reason. I realize I have opposing thumbs and I know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. If I have the ability to think and reason, why do I continue to walk in circles staring at my feet? Why do I feel like the roots in the pot I just bought? Why am I living in a ten gallon pot?
I just asked you a rhetorical question. Now I will answer it.
Five reasons why I am living in a ten gallon pot
1. I do the same actions over and over again expecting different results.
2. I spend my day thinking about the mistakes of yesterday, and my fears of tomorrow
3. I do not live in the moment enjoying the day I have been given.
4. I keep looking at my feet, and not at the sky.
5. I pretend I have no wounds that need healing.
6. I do not ask for help.
I know I said I would give you five reasons. The sixth reason is an extra one, like bonus points on a quiz, or an extra lollipop from the bank.
Five ways to get out of the ten gallon pot I am living in
1. Try a different action and I should get a different result.
2. Accept my past, I can’t change it. I won’t fear the future as it hasn’t happened yet.
3. Smile and enjoy today.
4. Stop looking at my feet. Stand up straight and look ahead so I don’t walk into the tree I just planted.
5. Admit my wounds and find healing.
6. Ask for help.
Are you living in a ten gallon pot?
Do you feel like you are living in a ten gallon pot? Is it hard to ask for help? I pray you find healing. I pray you stop living life with roots that are bound by your past and your fear of the future. I pray you cut off the plastic pot you are living in. I pray you would smile today and find joy in the moment.
Please share in the comments how I can pray for you.